Have you ever heard that saying? "Little strokes fell great oaks". It means even the littlest things can make an enormous impact. And that pretty much sums up what I'm feeling right now. There are several ways in which this saying pertains to my life right now, and if you know my husband and our current situation, you will understand. But the thing that I really want to speak to is the "small strokes" that we are receiving on a daily basis. The small strokes that are slowly chipping away at the Great Oak of fear, anxiety, and worry that goes along with a life threatening event...the kind that displaces your sense of normalcy and security.
Today, my oldest son Caleb came to visit his dad, and with him he brought a large envelope. This envelope contained cards and letters from friends and neighbors back home full of prayers and well wishes. But what it also contained was a multitude of gifts...gas cards, food cards, and visa/mastercard gift cards. I was so overwhelmed by the generosity of my community, and the love they have shown my family, that I sat and cried wondering how I could possibly thank everyone for touching our hearts and lives like this. Perhaps you spent five minutes running to the store and purchasing that card, happy to be able to help. But what you did was so much bigger than that. Those gas cards ensure that my children can get back and forth to visit their dad without spending the cash they need for college. The food cards ensure that while mom isn't home cooking, my children will have a meal. And those things are priceless to me. While I am here caring for my husband, it helps to know you all are pitching in to care for my family. They say it takes a village, and I can honestly say that my village is the best.
For those of you who have been asking for an update...my Great Oak is alert and stable and we are taking one day at a time. The brain is a mysterious organ and according to the doctors, he will have ups and downs, and it's all part of the process. He is still undergoing some tests so they can attempt to determine the underlying cause of all this (yes, stress contributed, and so did all those bologna sandwiches, beers and Crown & 7's! lol). However, some of the things that have happened just don't make sense and they are trying to solve the mystery. It truly is a waiting game. As of today, it looks like we will be in the ICU for about 6 more days before being transferred to another unit...but this could change tomorrow. The only thing we know for sure is that the brain is temperamental and does it's own thing in it's own time. An injury like this is 6-12 months of recovery to feel about 90% normal. So, patience is key (and if you know Grot, this is not a virtue he was blessed with. lol). As for me, this is a burden I will gladly bear, as I am just happy to have him. I am counting my blessings that he is alive, that he can talk and smile at me and that he has minimal deficits. What is 6-12 months in the scheme of things? And besides- God is bigger than numbers, dates, strokes and brain bleeds, so I am believing in complete and total recovery exceeding all expectations!
Thank you again for everything, from the bottom of our hearts. We are so grateful and humbled by all you are doing. Please keep the prayers coming!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.